Perhaps you don’t know but getting your 5 a day is very easy. Here are some interesting ideas to help you getting to it.
To get 5 a day at breakfast you may add:
- some berries or a chopped banana to low fat yoghurt, porridge or cereal;
- some tomatoes or mushrooms to scrambled eggs;
- unsweetened fruit or vegetable juice – one glass (150ml);
- Make a quick smoothie in a blender using your favorite fresh or frozen fruits. A smoothie containing all of the edible pulped fruit or vegetable can count as more than one portion a day, depending on how it’s made.
- smoothie in a blender made of all of the edible pulped fruit or vegetable;
- Healthy tips that you can always find on-line.
To get 5 a day at lunch you may add:
- grated carrots, tomatoes, cucumber or lettuce to your sandwiches;
- Broccoli or cauliflower florets, sticks of cucumber, peppers and carrot with dips such as low-fat cheese spread or salsa.
- to Bolognese sauce some chopped carrots, on your pasta – sprinkle chopped red peppers, to your omelet some tomatoes, to your stir-fry some mushrooms;
- To stews, soups, salads and bakes add some beans, lentils and pulses.
To get 5 a day at dinner you may add:
- Some peas with a shepherd’s pie, some carrots or broccoli to a roast dinner, to your main meal a salad or some vegetables.
- some frozen peas, mixed vegetables or mini corn on the cob heated in your microwave;
- Canned fruit and vegetables without added sugar or salt;
- a handful of kidney beans, peas or sweet corn soups and sauces, sweet corn or pineapple chunks on top of a thin-based pizza.
Tips to replace snacks in your 5 a day:
- have a piece of fruit instead of sugary snacks (such as biscuits);
- Healthy food ideas on-line can give you more ideas of healthy snacks.