Have you ever heard that a standard glass of wine can contain as many calories as a piece of chocolate, and 16 ounces of beer has about the same calorie count as a package of crisps?
If we take England as an example a person who drinks wine regularly takes about 2,000kcal from alcohol every month. Another example is beer – having 5 glasses of 16 ounces beer a week results with 44,200kcal a year, which on the other hand is equivalent to eating 221 doughnuts. In addition to this are unhealthy breakfasts, after heavy drinking sessions, which add up to your overall weight.
Very important thing not known to many women is that having two large glasses of white wine equals to nearly 20% of the recommended daily intake of calories, which is approximately 370kcal. All in all excessive consumption of alcohol has a serious impact on your weight.
Another fact that must not have been omitted is that regular alcohol consumption has an impact not only on your weight but it has a serious impact on your health too.
The reason why alcohol contains so many calories, seven calories per gram, is fermentation and distillation of some of the drinks. Ingredients such as natural starch and sugar are in the composition of vastly consumed common drinks such as beer, cider and wine.
Here are several tips to avoid weight gain
In order To reduce the chances of gaining weight from drinking alcohol, you need to follow these tips:
- 16 ounces of beer (ABV 5.2%) and a 250ml glass of wine (ABV 12%) equals to 3 units of alcohol which is the actual daily maximum recommended intake of alcohol for both men and women.
- In order to prevent yourself from being dehydrated have a glass of water.
- Have a sandwich or chicken burger without mayonnaise and don’t drink on an empty stomach.
- Have your share of alcohol at your own pace – don’t let others choose the pace for you.
- If you have decided not to drink have a friend with you – he / she will give you moral support.
- Before you have something to drink dine first – it’s much healthier.
- Don’t drink a whole glass of drink at once – drink in small sips.
- Don’t drink for the only reason to become intoxicated by heavy consumption of alcohol in a very short period of time.
- Use some soda water when you’re drinking white wine.